(770) 608-2890 | DAWN@CAM.LAW

What Type of Doctor Should I See After an Accident?

Were you involved in a car accident? If so, it is natural to feel overwhelmed in the aftermath, especially if you are dealing with severe injuries, pain, trauma, lost wages from time off of work, and more.

Car accident injuries can be relatively minor, severe, or even life-threatening, depending on the circumstances. Severely injured people will likely require emergency medical services and be taken to the hospital directly from the accident scene.

What Type of Treatment Should You Get Right After a Car Accident?

If you’ve been involved in a collision, your health should be your priority. You should seek prompt diagnosis and treatment of any injuries as soon as possible. Some symptoms of severe injuries might not be readily apparent or might worsen over time.

Depending on the specifics of your crash, you might need to visit an:

Emergency Room – People who’ve been severely injured in a crash will need immediate medical attention. Emergency medical services should be called to the scene of any injury accident. Severely injured individuals will likely be taken promptly to the closest emergency room. The ER is also recommended if your accident happens late at night, or your injuries worsen soon after the crash.

Urgent Care – If your injuries are less severe, it might make sense to visit an urgent care clinic. These facilities are often open later than the average primary care physician’s office and cost less per visit on average than emergency rooms. You can typically walk into an urgent care clinic and receive treatment without making an appointment.

Primary Care Physician – Your primary care physician is also an option if you did not suffer severe or life-threatening injuries but still need to be evaluated after a crash. If you notice symptoms of whiplash, internal injuries, or other aches and pains in the hours or days after the accident, you should make an appointment with your PCP to get a thorough medical evaluation. Be sure to tell your doctor how you feel and let them know if you’re experiencing pain or if anything feels off. Your doctor can run tests to determine if you’ve been injured and prescribe a course of treatment.

Medical Specialist – If your injuries require surgery or specialized care your primary care physician or urgent care doctor cannot provide, you might be referred to a specialist for additional testing and treatment.

Do You Always Have to See a Doctor After a Car Accident?

In the aftermath of a car accident, it is natural to feel disoriented and stunned by what just happened. The shock and rush of adrenaline your body experiences could mask some symptoms of serious injuries and might lead you to believe that you weren’t hurt at first. But listen to your body – if you think you may have been hurt, see a doctor. It’s always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your health.

How Long After an Accident Should You See a Doctor?

The hours and days after a collision can be a blur for many accident victims. When dealing with all of the challenges associated with a crash, prioritizing medical care should come first. If possible, seek medical treatment immediately after the accident, whether on the same day or the next day.

If symptoms begin to appear later or if your condition worsens, go to the ER or an urgent care clinic right away to have a medical professional diagnose and treat the issue.

What If My Accident Injuries Don’t Show Up Right Away?

A collision could result in mild, moderate, or severe injuries, depending on the speed the vehicles are traveling, the location of impact, and other factors. Shock can easily mask some injury symptoms, and some can worsen over time. Some common injuries that victims might not notice right away include:

· Traumatic brain injuries

· Injuries to the head and neck, like whiplash

· Back and spine injuries

· Internal organ injuries and bleeding

· Bone fractures

· Muscle, tendon, and ligament strains and sprains

Some symptoms that might seem mild, like headaches, dizziness, swelling, numbness, and aches and pains, could be signs of a more serious injury. Seeking treatment right away could give you the peace of mind you deserve after an accident and will be crucial if you need to file an injury claim later.

When Should You Contact an Attorney?

You should contact an experienced personal injury lawyer as soon as you can after your accident. In Georgia, you have only two years after the date of your injury to file a personal injury lawsuit under the state’s statute of limitations. If you file a lawsuit after the deadline, the court will be barred from hearing your case.

Your personal injury lawyer needs time to:

· Investigate the accident.

· Secure vital evidence before it is lost, cleaned up, or destroyed.

· Build a convincing injury claim on your behalf.

· Negotiate with the other party’s insurance company for a fair settlement.

· File a lawsuit if a settlement cannot be reached.

· You should give your lawyer ample time to do the legal legwork necessary so you can seek fair compensation. Time is limited, so it’s crucial to act right away.

If you’ve been injured in a car accident, you get just one chance to seek justice and fair compensation for the harm you’ve suffered. With so much on the line, hiring a lawyer with the right experience and resources to handle your case is essential.

Cam Law is here to get to know you and make a difference in your life. Call us today to get started as soon as you are ready.

Scroll to top